What Does “Be Good with Money” Really Mean?
Does it mean make all the money you want? Maybe. Does it mean you can balance your checkbook? Perhaps. Does it mean being able to buy whatever you want and pay all your bills? Possibly. Does it mean create a family financial plan? Well, yeah.
Or does it have something to do with your attitude about money? You’re getting warmer.
Many people unconsciously avoid choosing to become “good with money,” because they’ve heard or they’ve been told, “money is the root of all evil,” and there is “too much greed in the world.”
However, that is not entirely accurate. “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs.” – 1 Timothy 6:10
The love of money is what causes all the trouble. Money itself is neither good or evil. It is simply a tool to be used by us. How we use it determines whether it is used for good or evil.
Why Be Good with Money at All?
Throughout the Bible we are encouraged to be good stewards of all that God has given us. He gave us a body and wants us to take care of it and make healthy decisions. He gave us a mind and wants us to seek and connect with Him. He gave us the ability to create wealth and expects us to manage it appropriately.
Think about what you can accomplish when you’re not worried about financial matters. You can be generous by giving to charities that align with your core values. You can invest in startup businesses that have great ideas on how to improve things. You can enjoy your family and friends by taking extended vacations around the idea of connecting on a deeper relational level. You can even glorify God by being a good steward of all He’s given you.
But how do you do that when you continue to choose to define yourself as “I’m not good with money”?
To be good with money, you’ll need to gain mastery over money.
Mastery in anything requires only three things. Desire, Resources, and Knowledge. To develop mastery over money you’ll need the same three things.
Mastery of Money: Desire
Having a desire for change is the first step. For without the awareness, no change is possible.
All change requires a desire. Many times, people won’t change until the pain is greater than their fear of change.
Are you ready for a change? Do you need a financial re-boot? Tired of scratching around trying to make ends meet? Is it time for a money upgrade?
If you answered yes to any of those questions, congratulations!
You are prepared. You are ready to learn the skills that turn you into a “Money Whisperer.” You’ve heard of a “horse whisperer,” someone who speaks on the same level and understanding of the horse, so they can cause to the horse to want to do what they want them to do.
Well, learning how to become a “Money Whisperer” is just like that. You’ll learning how money works in this world and learn how your thoughts about money can lead you to prosperity.
Now, you have the desire to do something about money. You desire to become good with money once and for all.
You are ready to be a master over money and become a “Money Whisperer.”
Mastery of Money: Resources
How will you resource yourself? Not all resources are equally beneficial.
Let me give you an example.
Say you know you need help. Now, you might consider browsing the zillions of financial self-help books online. But when you do choose one of these financial self-help books please know they have an agenda. Those books aren’t written for your education. Instead they are marketing material designed to get you to engage and take the next step with them. You are their target and they want you to buy their idea and then buy their product.
An alternative approach to resourcing yourself is to contact one of our Certified Financial Planners or coaches at the life-changing Complete MONEY TRUTH & LIFE Mastery Online Program the Truth About Money. We are different from those self-help books because we genuinely desire what is for your best interest.
Our only agenda is informing and teaching you in a step-by-step way that allows you to learn at your own pace how money really works, what the world is not telling you about your money, and about how your life and your family can benefit from that information.
We offer you a complete education on how money really works. We share principles and methodologies that no one else in the financial industry would. We are authentic, caring, and compassion about you and helping you achieve your goals.
Mastery of Money: Knowledge
Prepare yourself with good, healthy information about money. You need to know how things really work.
How does money move in the world and economy? How do you avoid expensive and time-consuming mistakes with money? How do you get back on financial track once you’ve fallen off track? How do you have healthy conversations about money? How do you enjoy expenses rather than being stressed by them? How do you prepare for taxes and unplanned life events?
All these things and more you’ll discover with the right knowledge about money. And the life-changing, Complete, Money Truth & Life Mastery Online Program can help you discover this knowledge and you won’t be steered into any get-rich-quick schemes.
Five Steps To be Good with Money:
- Know Where You’re Headed: List your most important goals – work with the people closest to you to create collaborative benchmarks and objectives. Remember a goal is more than a wish because it is specific and measurable.
- Decide When You Want Major Goals to be Achieved: No matter what your goal is, without defining the time dimension it remains simply a wish. Go ahead put a date on when things like education funding, special celebrations, real estate purchases, travel, charitable giving, future income planning, and home improvement projects will be accomplished. Watch how your brain will kick in and start working on completing that goal when you assign a date to it.
Don’t stop at just one goal. Rather, think broadly and consider the many aspects of your life:
- Work and Career
- Health and Fitness
- Spiritual and Emotional
- Hobbies and Interests
- Intellectual and Academic
- Impact on your Community
- Home Life
- Explore How You Will Financially Support Those Goals. How much money will you need and by when? A financial road map will help you. The life-changing Complete Money Truth & Life Mastery Online Program can help you prepare that financial road map.
- Replace Old Habits that Aren’t Serving You Well. Stop stressing over money or lack of money. Consider new ways to grow financially using the Three Ways exercise.
- Earn More. Can you work overtime to make a little more? Do you have a hobby that can turn into a side business?
- Spend Less. Where can you cut your expenses on unnecessary items?
- Sell Something. Do you have a closet or garage full of clutter? Perhaps declutter and find items of value you can sell.
- Be creative. Invite other key people in your life to engage in this exercise and compare notes, think outside the box, allow yourself to explore and stretch beyond your expectations or old “normal.” Create a new normal for creative thought.
- Upgrade Your Mindset. Learn to expect great things. Get rid of any shame or guilt from past money mistakes. Shake off low-level expectations of others who said “you’re not good with money,” “you’ll never be good enough,” or “you can’t do this.” Those statements are not true of you right now, right here. Let the small voice inside of you remind you how far you’ve come and know you deserve to achieve your goals, no matter what has happened in the past. You deserve to be happy, peaceful, and confident in your financial future.
The Bibles tells us “For as he thinks in his heart, so is he.” – Proverbs 23:7
As long as you choose to think you aren’t good with money, you’ll be right. When you choose to decide you are a master over money, you will become your own “Money Whisperer.”
The choice is yours.
Are you ready to work with a Certified Financial Planner at the life-changing Complete Money Truth & Life Mastery Online Program?
When you contact us, you’ll be treated with respect and dignity you deserve. We exist to train people of all ages to replace money behaviors that do not serve them, with a set of wise, wealth building skills and behaviors that do. We provide you with the understanding and discernment and power to make money decisions that are in your best interests and create a legacy to secure your family’s financial future.
Get started today by contacting a certified financial planner.
Judy Copenbarger is the Founder and President of Comprehensive Financial Services, based in Irvine, California.
She holds a Juris Doctor Degree, with a Taxation Emphasis, is FINRA Registered and maintains various Securities and Insurance Designations. Her professional expertise is in Estate Planning, Retirement and Education Planning.